Praew’s family didn’t want her to get an education. She tried to study but her grandmother threw her books away. In her village in Burma, there wasn’t much work and her family told her to move to Bangkok to find a job. One night in 2009, when Praew was 19, she arrived all alone in the city – and she has been here ever since.
It is the time of year when we share what is special to us with those around. Praew would like to share a dish with you that is very close to her heart – Tea Leaf Salad, or Lahpet.
I chose to make Lahpet (Burmese Tea Leaf Salad) because it is one of the traditional Burmese dishes that is easy to cook. No festival in my home town can have a feast without this dish. When I make it, I always miss the days in Myanmar when I sat with my grandmother and we had it together with tea.
Praew has been training with the Goodwill Group Foundation for 5 years. She told us that she likes coming to workshops so much that she cannot miss a week. If she did, Praew said, all she would have in her life would be work.
Your support allows us to offer training for free to young women like Praew. Please make a donation and join our community. Thank you.
Recipe for Tea Leaf Salad (ยำใบชา)
- Peanuts ถั่วลิสง ¼ cup / ถ้วย
- Broad beans ถั่วปากอ้า ¼ cup / ถ้วย
- Dried prawns กุ้งแห้ง 1 tbs / ช้อนโต๊ะ
- Thai garlic (sliced) กระเทียมหั่น 1 tbs / ช้อนโต๊ะ
- Ginger (shredded) ขิงฝอย ¼ cup / ถ้วย
- Hot green chilli (chopped) พริกขี้หนูทุบ 2tbs / ช้อนโต๊ะ
- Coconut meat (toasted) มะพร้าวคั่ว ¼ cup / ถ้วย
- Tomato (diced) มะเขือเทศ ¼ cup / ถ้วย
- Pickled tea leaves ใบชาดอง ¼ cup / ถ้วย
- Vegetable oil น้ำมันพืช 1tbs / ช้อนโต๊ะ
- Fish sauce น้ำปลา 1tbs / ช้อนโต๊ะ
- Fry the nuts until golden brown. นำถั่วไปทอดจนมีสีเหลืองทอง
- Add all ingredients into the bowl and mix. นำส่วนผสมทั้งหมดลงไปคลุกเคล้าอ่างผสม จากนั้นนำไปจัดจานเสิร์ฟ
- Season to taste, then serve and enjoy!